The Ogden Museum of Southern Art is pleased to offer a Curatorial Fellowship position for a recent college graduate pursuing a career in the museum curatorial field.
The Curatorial Fellow will help in the daily operations of maintaining the exhibition galleries. They will assist in the mounting and installation of exhibitions and will also perform tasks associated with presenting art and didactic materials to a general audience.
The Curatorial Fellow will have opportunities to contribute to the museum by supporting the curatorial department through various tasks and projects. The ideal candidate will have one year of prior experience working in a museum curatorial department or working on museum or art gallery exhibition installations.
Range of Duties
Perform a combination of art handling, research, writing, collections management and clerical duties including:
- Daily gallery maintenance – lighting, cleaning glass and plexi, moving of objects, catalogue art objects currently in museum’s collection, maintain a clean and functional storage space for art.
- Install exhibitions and produce various exhibition related materials – install artwork, painting of galleries, carpentry, wrapping and shipping of art works, packing and delivery of artworks.
- Assist with ensuring potential donations to the museum’s collection
- Prepare Condition Reports, generate Incoming and Outgoing Receipts and Loan Agreements
- Database and filing system maintenance and input
- Assist with various administrative and clerical tasks within the curatorial department and other work assignments as needed
- Digitizing the collection
- Exhibition Installation
- Produce didactic materials for exhibitions (labels and wall text)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in studio art, arts administration, art history, museum studies, or other related fields of study
- At least one year of experience working in a museum curatorial department or working on museum exhibition installations (internship experience will count)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in the art of the American South, familiarity with art research methods and sources (including online databases/indices)
- Familiarity with MS Office
- Experience with photography and Adobe Photoshop is a plus (but not required)
- Strong candidates exhibit a willingness to learn, to be flexible and shift gears quickly, have a high level of attention to detail and are self-starters.
- List of 3 references
This is a part-time position, up to 20 hours per week.