Director, Bio Business Development & Strategy
The Director, Bio Business Development & Strategy leads business development activities including corporate attraction and corporate retention/expansion related to the Bio Innovation and Health Services (BIO) industry sector. Job growth, capital investment, and retention of existing businesses are the major functions of the position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead corporate retention, expansion and attraction activities to promote a stronger BIO economy in Orleans Parish. May assist with other industry sectors as needed.
- Serve as project manager on various initiatives related to business development, including representing the organization at conferences and working closely with executives to solve company and industry related issues
- Lead organization and planning for all BIO community events including New Orleans Health Innovators Challenge and other similar events.
- Research and assist with application processes for incentive programs to specific clients to ensure success in business attraction, expansion and retention.
- Serve as liaison regarding economic development incentive projects with external partners (i.e. the City of New Orleans Office of Economic Development, Universities, NOBIC, BioDistrict Board of Commissioners, the Industrial Development Board, Louisiana Economic Development, etc.)
- Assist in market intelligence research to identify businesses and industries to attract and/or retain in the City
- Assist existing industry in resolving infrastructure problems, regulatory compliance, legislative issues, etc.
- Support NOLABA’s efforts to prepare a skilled and ready workforce for the BIO sector including strategies for employment and retention, promotion, and career advancement. Serve as liaison between BIO sector leadership and NOLABA’s Talent Development team
- Support NOLABA’s efforts to spur real estate development that accelerates growth of the BIO sector in strategic neighborhoods. Work closely with VP, Real Estate Development and Directors, Strategic Neighborhood Development
- Help schedule and program BD meetings with targeted companies and other NOLABA stakeholders
- Respond to prospect requests for information (RFIs)
- Help plan and program major external events including conferences and trade shows
- Develop and manage relationships with key local business leaders and local, regional and state economic development partners
- Assists with accurate CRM documentation and reporting
- Regularly reports to VP of Industry Attraction & Retention
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS & JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university and MBA or equivalent experience is required
- 3 to 7 years of experience in Bio or Healthcare fields. Strong consideration will also be given to those with past economic development experience.
- Domain knowledge of healthcare IT, digital health or personalized medicine is preferred. Additionally, experience with ground-up business development pipeline creation (e.g., cold calling, solo representation of a company or organization at conferences/trade shows) will be considered a ‘plus factor’ for this role.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Intellectually curious with ability to bridge gap between the esoteric and practical, strategic and tactical
- Self-starter who can take initiative and drive results
- Demonstrated imagination and a creative “new way of thinking” in generating new ideas
- Cooperative team player; able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Enjoys the dynamics of working in a community with diverse business and political leadership
- Maintains a spirit of excitement, involvement, and commitment; enthusiasm for the power of effective economic development
- Belief in innovation and the potential for rapid economic growth
- Solid in understanding and implementing performance-based measurements and outcomes
- Proven leadership and motivational skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Word, etc.)
- Excellent project management and reporting experience; strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines under ever-evolving priorities; manages competing interests and strong personalities
- Professional demeanor at all times; ability to act as a representative of NOLABA to the public
- Interpersonal skills
- Sense of Humor
- Communication skills (written and oral)
- Team building ability
- Presentation skills
- Comfort with complexity
- Ability to adapt and thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- High ethical standards and commitment to fairness and equity
- While performing the duties of this job, the individual may be required to travel within the New Orleans area and United States; international travel is not required.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
Physical & Mental Demands:
- While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly required to speak and hear
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
- Read and interpret data (emails, memos, letters, etc.)
- Ability to maintain visual attention and mental concentration for significant periods of time
- Ability to analyze and interpret data
- Ability to effectively communicate with superiors, peers and subordinates
To apply for this position, send the following documents via email to Careers@nolaba.org:
- Cover Letter
In your email, please note “NOLABA Director, BIO BD” in the subject line.