Special Assistant to the Superintendent
Michael Harrison was appointed as the Superintendent of the New Orleans Police Department on October 14, 2014 and reaffirmed to his position by Mayor LaToya Cantrell on May 8, 2018. The Superintendent is responsible for overseeing day to day operations of the Police Department and the men and women who serve the city of New Orleans.
This position will report directly to the Superintendent and will be responsible for administrative duties such as scheduling, travel arrangements, and organizing documents for signature. The position will also be expected to be able to represent the Superintendent in public and develop a portfolio of policy issues to assist the Superintendent.
The current incumbent for this position will be vacating the position in late June and we will be making a selection for his replacement in mid - June.
- Schedules, organizes, and coordinates the Superintendent’s meeting agenda.
- Briefs key staff on upcoming meetings and coordinates as necessary to ensure all appropriate participants are in attendance.
- Processes Superintendent’s travel and expense reports.
- Communicates on the Superintendent’s behalf with city staff and the public when the Superintendent is unavailable.
- Represents the Superintendent at briefings and reports back on content of briefings.
- Prepares meeting notes or briefing memos as required.
- Develops policy expertise on certain issue areas and helps to oversee implementation of these issues.
- Performs other duties as required to assist the Superintendent.
Minimum Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university; and
- Two (2) years of related experience including, but not limited to, progressively responsible administrative work.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Able to handle sensitive issues that require confidentiality and discretion.
- Highly organized and detail orientated.
- Driven self-starter.
New full time employees of the City of New Orleans must be domiciled in Orleans Parish within 180 days of hire.
How to Apply
Apply through the WorkNola site or send a resume and a letter of interest to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Eric Melancon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paid Vacation
- Professional Growth Potential