Advertising, Marketing, Promotions, Public Relations, and Sales Managers
Benefits available for some positions
<p>The Advocate, a daily morning newspaper published by Capital City Press, and its journalistic ancestors have been a vital force in Louisiana’s capital city and the surrounding communities for more than 160 years. </p> <div> </div> <div>The Advocate publishes three daily editions in Acadiana, Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Additionally, it publishes a number of weekly paid and free newspapers in the greater Baton Rouge and New Orleans areas. </div> <div> </div> <div>Dathel and John Georges purchased The Advocate, Louisiana’s largest daily print newspaper on April 30, 2013. The Advocate, based in Baton Rouge and first published as a weekly in 1842, has an average daily circulation of 100,000 and serves Baton Rouge, Lafayette, New Orleans and surrounding communities in South Louisiana. </div> <div> </div> <div>Today’s Advocate traces it publishing history back to The Democratic Advocate, a newspaper founded in 1842 with an agenda of defeating the local candidates of the rival Whig political party. The newspaper scene was in constant flux during the period of the Civil War, with newspapers and editors in transition. The Louisiana Capitolian appeared in 1868 and soon merged with the renamed Weekly Advocate. By 1889 The Advocate was being published daily, and in 1904 a new owner, William Hamilton, renamed it The Baton Rouge Times, and the paper became The State-Times. The newly formed Capital City Press owned by Charles P. Manship, Sr. and James Edmonds purchased the State-Times in 1909. The business was owned and operated by the Manship family until the sale in 2013 where at the time, David C. Manship was the Publisher/COO. </div> <div> </div> <div>The State-Times, an afternoon publication with emphasis on local news, was published until October 1991. Capital City Press created The Morning Advocate in 1925 to provide a growing population with an early edition of the news provided by the local reporting staff and wire services, a vital source of local, national and international information in those days prior to radio and television. The new publication was an immediate success, enjoying a wide circulation in the towns and rural communities surrounding Baton Rouge. Women played major roles on the editorial staff during and after World War II. They got their main chance during the war, when they showed up so well that Publisher Charles P. Manship, 40, managed to keep them on the staff. Capital City Press operated on Florida Street in Baton Rouge until 1953 when it moved to a new location at 525 Lafayette Street. In the fall of 2005 Capital City Press moved their administrative offices to its present location, 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd. In 2006 the production facility at 6700 Bluebonnet was replaced with a new state-of-the-art facility at 10715 Reiger Road. The facility is equipped with MANRoland offset presses and a 48-inch web. </div> <div> </div> <div>With the new ownership, John Georges assumed the role of CEO and Publisher of The Advocate, beginning a new chapter in the paper’s history. John looks forward to continuing the tradition of leadership and appreciation for the people of Louisiana that his predecessors, the Manship family, helped to establish. The Georges family plans to continue to provide daily news via print and digital to readers in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, New Orleans, and surrounding areas.</div>
To learn more about the employer visit their profile.