The Program Manager serves as manager of programming for the Scott Cowen Institute Earn and Learn Hilton New Orleans Riverside Initiative. Working closely with the Senior Manager of the Earn and Learn Program and the Director of Strategic Initiatives, the Program Manager is responsible for the initial planning, pilot, and ongoing management and growth of the program located on-site at Hilton New Orleans Riverside. Also working closely with the Human Resources and operational departments at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, the Program Manager will create and manage apprenticeship opportunities within key departments that lead to high-growth career pathways. This position will also oversee professional development opportunities for department supervisors to support them in effectively retaining and advancing program participants and others in the workplace. In addition, the Program Manager provides technical and professional skills instruction and individual coaching support to program participants according to program standards to ensure success during their apprenticeships and career pathways. This role entails routine strategic planning, backwards planning, and delegation. The Program Manager works closely with the Earn and Learn and Cowen Institute staff to align Hilton Riverside programming initiatives with other key programming components and organizational standards. The Earn and Learn program is a work-based learning opportunity for New Orleans opportunity youth, ages 18 to 24, who are disconnected from school and work. The program was founded in 2014 with apprenticeship sites at Tulane University and is expanding to Hilton New Orleans Riverside in 2018.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Public Health, Public Administration, Education, or comparable field of study preferred and four (4) years’ directly related experience in program management, academic instruction, and/or direct service to at-risk youth or adult populations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
1. Proficient in program development, management, and implementation.
2. Experience in a start-up or entreprenuerial setting.
3. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to achieve positive results.
4. Belief in the ability of all youth, regardless of background, to succeed.
5. Detail-oriented with exceptionally strong initiative and follow-through skills.
6. Ability to work proactively in an ambiguous, dynamic, fast paced environment.
7. Proficient computer skills; working knowledge of Microsoft software applications (word and excel)
1. Master’s Degree in Social Work, Public Health, Public Administration, Education, or comparable field of study preferred but not required.
2. Track record of achieving results with underserved populations.
3. Start-up experience and experience working with at-risk youth or adult populations.
4. Familiarity with New Orleans’ education, youth development, economic development, and/or workforce development landscape.
An incumbent assigned this classification will perform some or all of the following universal essential functions approximately 95 percent of his/her time:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
Typical % Allocation
Program Management and Development:
- Serve as program site lead, guiding and overseeing operational aspects of the Earn and Learn program site at Hilton New Orleans Riverside, including recruitment (in collaboration with relevant Earn and Learn and Hilton New Orleans Riverside staff), attendance, and program components.
- Ensure all programmatic goals tied to grants and strategic plan are met through strong project management and partnership management.
- Track all relevant data for grant and program reporting. Work with Cowen Institute staff to complete grant reports as needed.
- Identify and develop opportunities for program improvement.
- Maintain an awareness of workforce development practices, effective professional development and management practices, as well as trends in the Hospitality sector and major career pathways related to the program’s current and future state.
25% of job
On-the-job Training Design and Implementation:
- Develop and ensure quality on-the-job experiences:
- Design workplace learning curriculum and learning outcomes for each apprenticeship in concert with Hilton Human Resources and operational developments.
- Track apprentice progress towards career pathway; documenting and monitoring learning outcomes through observations, surveys, and assessments.
- Develop processes for and manage all aspects related to on-the-job training within the program, including:
- Develop and track all apprentice work schedules.
- Oversee system for apprenticeship timekeeping (in concert with relevant Hilton staff).
- Meet at least biweekly with each supervisor and apprentice to facilitate growth-oriented dialogue and feedback exchange.
- Address apprentice and employer partners’ workplace needs and incorporate feedback into program development to ensure success of apprenticeships and employer satisfaction.
25% of job
- Organize technical training supports for apprentices as needed to support growth.
- Track, manage, and report relevant program data and ensure data integrity to improve program participant progress and guide program development.
- In coordination with the Earn and Learn College and Career Counselor, support apprentices with career and postsecondary readiness that align with their interests, skill level, and experience.
20% of job
- Orient all Hilton stakeholders to the Earn and Learn program’s mission, vision, core components, and values.
- Collaborate with and serve as a liaison to current and prospective Hilton department supervisors and Human Resources partners through regular communication, feedback collection and review, and enforcement of program expectations.
- Plan and execute professional development for Hilton employers with support from Hilton Human Resources and the Earn and Learn team.
- Hold all employer partners accountable to the program’s expectations, spelled out in the program’s guide.
20% of job
· Performs other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description.
10% of job
Total Essential Percentage Allocation for All Essential Functions
- To apply, visit http://www2.tulane.edu/jobs/ and refer to IRC13397. Resumes and cover letters are required.